- October 2020: the UC Energy Systems Petition (below) was submitted to President Drake, the Regents and the 10 Chancellors.
- November 2020: organizers of the petition met with the Chancellors of UC Berkeley and Davis.
- December 2020: President Drake has not yet agreed to meet, but the organizers did meet with Executive Vice President Nava and the GCLC and other UC leaders in December 2020. They asked please shift the UC Goal from Carbon Neutral to Fossil Free & please support our task to make plans to electrify. To date, EVP and GCLC have not supported our tasks.
- January 2021, organizers of petition met with the chief sustainability officers of the 10 campuses, the same two asks.
- February 2021: the 10 Sustainability Officers replies No, they will not honor our request to make plans to electrify the campus energy systems, and No, they will not honor our request to change the goal from carbon neutral to fossil free.
- March 2021: representatives of the petition met with UCSD Chancellor Pradeep Khosla who designated $250,000 for exploratory planning of electrification for the UCSD campus
- In April 2021, Director of overall Sustainability in the UC, David Phillips, wrote this to the climate justice movement: ” Based on … subsequent discussions with President Drake, we are not ready to abandon carbon neutrality as our 2025 goal. President Drake has called carbon neutrality a milestone on the path to making UC fossil free… There is broad support for deep decarbonization of our central plants [sic]. [But] at this point, there is no clear path to fund the massive capital projects required to support this change… We appreciate your ongoing help to identify funding for the development of more-detailed campus decarbonization plans.”. This from an institution with tens of billions in operating funds.
- If you want to be involved in action on this, please leave your contact details for us on the form below.
Major Action: The UC Energy Systems Petition of 2020
The UC Energy Systems Petition is closed; however you can access the final text and full list of signatures by clicking on the image to the right.
The petition was signed by 3,500 UC members, and backed by unions representing 50,000, the associated students and graduate and professional council.
The petition called for the UC Campuses to make plans to electrify. The process of making plans must start now, and probably costs just a few million for all campuses. Making plans could take a year or two. Only then, will the campuses be ready for large Federal stimulus, or state bonds, or philanthropy to actually replace their co-generation plants.
Contact Us and Join the Action!
We are a group of individuals from across the UC system from all majors, disciplines, and walks of life. We are all passionate about mitigating the climate crisis and pushing the UC to become the climate champions that they say they are.
If you want to join our efforts, please fill out the form to the right, or contact Prof Cathy Gere with questions.
There are myriad actions you can be involved in:
- Social media, Research
- Advocacy with UC Regents, Chancellors and Legislators
- Team and organization building